Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

KeySticks  (Read 2096 times)

Posted on 08 Jul 2013, 00:46:30
Lein
Well, well, I promised this to Rae for a while and so here it is, (altho I suck at making tutorials, so expect it to be long and boring)
As you may all know, I play RO2 using an Xbox 360 Controller, wired type.
To tell you the truth, I was getting bored of RO2 half way through because my desk is horrible to play with a keyboard and mouse (moves a lot even by typing), it was monotonous, lack precision, and moving was kinda hard... in my case of course.
So then one day I sort of got an idea and searched through the net only to find out about this very interesting program:

http://keysticks.net/site/

KeySticks allows you to parse any button or stick in your xbox 360 controller into keyboard and mouse commands, there are many other programs out there that does the same, and maybe for free, but I liked this one because it has many options.

In the case of my thief, and the other chars I play with, I went with this setup:

As you can see, all the main shortcut buttons are included, from 0 to 9, the character moving keys, the mouse left and right button, the mouse control, alt, shift, space bar and tab.

But, why did I went with such a set up? I mean, there are the sitting key, the autoloot key, the guardian summon key, the autorun key!! So many stuffs!!! :angry:

However, it works pretty well for me because, as you might know, unlike RO1, RO2 lacks of active skills, and a lot at that.

First things first, I do have the autoloot, I do have the sitting, putting away or taking out the weapon commands, I do have the autorun and the guardian summon and I even have extra space for more stuff.
How do I do this? simple, set it up in-game.

Time to explain the logic in my controller.

The control is based mostly in the FPS kind, in which you move Sideways and Back & Forth with the left stick, while the right stick moves the camera and the other buttons are just there for utility's sake.

why Q & E instead of A & D?
This is just because if I release the mouse right button, and want to move sideways the character will spin, which is not a behavior of a FPS, which in turn will make it an awkward feeling.

The actual combination adds up to 38 buttons, and could be even more. This makes it more hardcore than any normal game control.

I went with adding the 0 to 9 keys, and didnt put any letter key in, since in-game you can set-up the shortcuts as you wish, and that applies by char, not by account. This makes thing easer for me to setup every char I play with just by toying with the keys in-game.

Space and Tab however are very utility keys, so having them affected by the alt and shift could be too tricky, better not moving them.

Left stick will move my character just like it would in Gears of War, and right stick will move the mouse cursor, and at a very good speed, just like a stick in a laptop (if you remember the old ones where that mouse style existed), clicking the right stick results into mouse left button click.

Left trigger is mouse right button, holding it down allows me to move the camera freely as if it were a FPS. The rason as of why I set the right button here instead of left, is that while holding it down and moving the camera the character will spin along with it, meanwhile with left button, you spin the camera, but not the character.

Alt & Shift are on the shoulders, this allows me to play with all the 0-9 assigned buttons to change between skills shortcut rows. This comes mainly from my time playing Tera Online, which normal buttons is row 1, shift is row 2, alt is row 3 and shift + alt is row 4.

Right trigger is the number 1, this is because the main skills will go here, nothing will get into the way of this button and it will not hinder my moving along, is the skill I will spam the most in the char Im playing with and the one I will be able to move the most freely with, no need to say Double Attack and potions are here.

Well, enought of that logic crap, truth be told, the combinations are infinte, given the fact that you can set both the KeySticks program, or the game shortcuts, and keysticks isnt limited to only keyboard and mouse commands, it can also configure in real time the system sound volume, scroll of the mouse and other shitty things.

In any case, you will need to configure the profile for it to work properly, since maybe some of the behaviors you want arent the default ones, thats no problem.

First we need to enter the control setup, for that we just click in the middle button and select the «Edit this Profile»

of course you can have more than one profile.

Now the main diferences in between the keys is that they will come divided by default into 3 main categories: Type, Hold, and Toggle.

Well, you guys are english speakers so I dont think I need to say this... but anyway.
All the keys from 0-9, tab and space bar MUST use the Type action.
while the Alt, Shift, QWES, mouse right & left button should use the Hold down action.
Alt and Shift comes by default with the Toggle action, and Hold is not a default option, you must set it up manually.

ok now, since we are in this screen:

You might notice that the DPad has 9 buttons, and Im only using 4 of those, well the left stick is originally like that too... AND ITS A TRAP! trying out the diagonal is very, VERY annoying, I really dont recomend that, and setting the moving keys just like that is not enough, since they will not work together (you can only move forward, or move sideways)

To correct that we'll do a right-click on the left stick and move along to select this:

This way the left stick will end up with 5 options instead of nine, and will automatically set the WASD style, it will also work combining both keys when you use diagonals. Now you just need to replace the A & D for the Q & E.

Remember that for Q & E the type of action should be Hold Down.
While for the number buttons should be Type:

You will find the Mouse Right button here:

And to convert the Right Stick into the Mouse Pointer Controller you can find it here:

Now, the left click is not a default behavior, so you need to set it up, to do this you need to select the right stick in the map and click on the «Edit» button:

This will open this new dialog, by default, the only action that will be in bold letters is the «Moved» one, the «Pressed» and «Released» will not, this means that when the right stick is moved it will take the action of moving the pointer, but when you press or release the stick, there are no actions.

Now we want to make it so when we press the Right Stick it will press and hold the left mouse button, and when we release the Right Stick, it will also release the left mouse button, these actions are completely different and must be set individually.
To do so you just need to select the radio button «Pressed» and set the right options:

First, in Type of action ComboBox, you will select the «Press Down Mouse Button» action.
Second, in the Mouse Button ComboBox, you need to select which button, so its «Left»
now you click on the «Add» button right below, and the text area will fill with the text «Press Left Mouse Button», now you just need to click on the «Update» button to save the changes.
Third, you need to do the same on the «Release» radio button. But instead of «Press Down Mouse Button» you will select «Release Mouse Button», don't forget to select the «Left» button and click on the «Add» & «Update» buttons to set the action and save the changes.

Lastly, you need to do exactly the same thing for the «Alt» and «Shift» since in the default menu you will not find them outside of the «Toggle» actions.

Why is Toggle so bad? well, to begging with, if you want to use a second row skill, you need to click it once, not hold down, so far so good right? But to go back to the first row, you need to press the shift button again, if not, you are stuck on second row, same for alt, and if you activated both? Even worse.

And why is it so bad to get stuck in second and third row? don't know if you noticed, but while holding shift or alt keys in your keyboard, you cant move your character.

So, given that last detail of «You can not move while you are holding shift or alt» I recommend you to have ALL your «it allows me to move» skills in the first row, your «it does not allows me to move» in your second or 3rd, that is, if you have those kind of skills to begging with.

In my Rogue it works like this atm:
NumberLogicAloneShiftAltside note
0The JokerAutolootWeapon Put Away/Draw OutSit DownCould be replaced by F2 for Raidcall or to target Self as a FS
1BurstDouble AttackMain PotionHideThis key never interrupts the camera movement or vice versa
2Ranged StrikeDagger ThrowSecond PotionDual StabCould be switched with space bar for multi jumping
3Start & EndDeadly BlowUtility PotionDark IllusionI like to punch ppl in FPS
4UltimateMoonlight DriveSmoke BombGangster ParadiseA place for the strongest skill
5Tricky TricksterCrescent MoonDirty PlanMark of DeathThe key to play dirty
6Second Side StrikeMeteor AssaultSpirit SummonPeco PecoFor an ocassional AoE very at the reach of the right thumb
7Main BuffUnstable DopingNothingNothingCould be used for up to 3 buffs
8Main Side StrikeAutorunNothingNothingVery at the reach of the right thumb
9Second BuffMark of GenocidePoison WeaponNothingCould be used for up to 3 buffs

And so thats it... hope it helps, it really enlightened my RO2 experience and as a melee, it is AWESOME!
I find it also useful for Tanks and maybe Rangers, dunno about mage classes... but one thing is an undeniable up, you can move like crazy.

See ya
Nick -> Lein
Leinzan -> Average Rogue!
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!
Citlalicue -> Cursing Crescentia of the Vengenful Stigma!
Arkenne -> Squishy Tanky Monk

Posted on 08 Jul 2013, 10:48:45
raela
Thanks Lein! :D It's like you shoot people with knives D: (main attack on "trigger") I'll probably try to switch things up a bit when I get back with the setup I use.. try out the strafing/click on trigger thing. I should probably just incorporate the third row of hotkeys for skills anyway. ;_;

As a pitch to others, I tried out the controller thing after Tara and I first ran into Lein. I use a PS3 controller instead of Xbox 360.. my Xbox controller is wireless only and I don't have bluetooth on my laptop, so I needed to be able to use a cord. Windows comes with the drivers for Xbox, so it works right off with any program you want to use, but you have to download some sorta-sketchy program to get drivers for PS3 (MotionInJoy/MotionJoy.. if you use the normal program, it opens "learn Chinese" popups randomly. There is an offline tool that avoids popups and "phoning home" to China).

I've used it both on my melee characters and on my sorcerer (both as damage and when supporting noob parties - even in raids before!). It works fine with casting as long as you don't accidentally bump the stick in the middle, and the ease of movement is useful on any character, in my opinion. However, support is much trickier with it. You could hotkey the F1-F5 for doing (most) of the party.. but.. in my experience, clicking is much better. However, that means wiggling around the right stick which can take some getting used to.. though.. maybe with Lein's clicking setup, it'd work better? I should try! It is quite fun to sit back and play it like a console RPG (in my case). :D Plus, the cord to my controller is shorter, so my dog doesn't randomly rip it out of my hands like she does with my mouse. It takes a little getting used to, so if anyone does try it, I recommend going out to the field and practicing on easy monsters first.

If anyone is curious, here's how mine is laid out.. I can't give up scroll up/down >:(, so I'm out 7/8 for hotkeys. However, if I add in alt, I can likely make my skills work.. currently, 7/8 is for sp pots and alternate pots/rare skills.

~ raela (ML20 assassin) ~ naenia (ML1 sorcerer) ~ dasity (ML8 rogue) ~
~ sarinelle (ML1 priest) ~ nayrin (ML1 monk)  ~ kaysera (ML1 warrior) ~
 ~ acercia (25 beastmaster) ~ forgeria (30 wizard) ~ darkyne (ML13 soulmaker)  ~

Posted on 08 Jul 2013, 18:46:58
ZellKFF
You're both insane xD (although Lein is even more insane for writing such a huge post)

There are indeed a lot of alternatives but beware that hackshield will detect many of those mapping programs (I know it detects AHK and joy2key, sometimes silently and sometimes force closing your game).

RAWR guildmaster since 2004
Currently playing: RO2 - channel 5

Posted on 08 Jul 2013, 19:58:04
Lein
I've been using it since more than one and half a month. Works perfectly fine =___=a
And Im now so used to it that I feel I would suck at playing with keyboard and mouse... well I already sucked at that anyway.

However, Taicho! give it a shot >=D!! you'll find it fun!!
Nick -> Lein
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!

Posted on 09 Jul 2013, 01:12:04
Eurosius
I have to agree with Zelly here, you guys are nuts! But, I would like to try it out (although I don't have the means).

Posted on 09 Jul 2013, 10:15:12
Lein
you guys are nuts!

Why thank you!! ::>:
Nick -> Lein
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!

Posted on 09 Jul 2013, 15:00:09
Kurie
Lein, this is amazing. :speechless:

I'll never put the effort into doing it myself. But...wow. Awesome.

Posted on 09 Jul 2013, 15:15:39
Lein
ehehehe

you should give it a shot!
is quite fun
Nick -> Lein
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!

Posted on 10 Jul 2013, 04:10:55
Ishkar
Haha im with kurie on this one, when you were talking about it in game it didnt seem so tough but now its just  :shock:  ill leave this to the pros haha

Posted on 15 Jul 2013, 01:09:33
raela
You can actually have someone just send you their config for it, which makes it even EASIER. :P

Posted on 15 Jul 2013, 11:57:12
Lein
oh, I could look for that, I'll upload it later and pass it through dropbox then XP
Nick -> Lein
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!

Posted on 12 Dec 2013, 18:58:45
Kichijoten
tested today, doesn't work anymore ;_; (or does it?)

retired from RO2 - Playing FF XIV!

Posted on 12 Dec 2013, 19:55:57
Lein
huh? it works, I keep playing with controller even to date.

I did some changes in my controller :/ I should post them... but... effort >___>
Nick -> Lein
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!

Posted on 12 Dec 2013, 19:59:09
raela
I'm still running motioninjoy+xpadder with no issues as well.. what exactly doesn't work?

Posted on 12 Dec 2013, 20:01:56
Kichijoten
it works perfectly out of game, but nothing moves in game :/ maybe win8 issue? I dunno, not good at all that stuff.

retired from RO2 - Playing FF XIV!

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013