Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

PlayStation 4 General  (Read 1129 times)

Posted on 19 Nov 2013, 07:35:03
Outrack

Should have set up an official thread for the console ahead of its launch, but there's still enough to talk about and probably will be for a while so I figured I'd start this up for everything related to Sony's new console.

The PlayStation 4 was released in the US on November 15th with a surprisingly large amount of success, selling over one million consoles within its first day, and will be available in the EU/AU from November 29th with the rest of the world following shortly after. Though it's competing with Nintendo's Wii U and Microsoft's XBox One, Sony have arguably won the eighth-generation console war before it even started with some great strategic marketing that took full advantage of its rivals mistakes and by ironing out key issues that plagued the PS3 such as its complicated development process which detracted developers early on.

Specific details including specs and features can be found either on the official site or Wikipedia page, and I'll instead be  periodically updating this thread with info that may slip through the cracks if you don't follow news feeds. I've been lukewarm about the next console race as I've drifted towards the PC after getting one that plays everything I throw at it, though there are some really nice features and exclusives that may make the console worth purchasing - let us know what you think, and whether you intend on picking up the PS4 sometime in future (if you haven't already).

Posted on 19 Nov 2013, 11:47:35
T-Shaped
my main thing with the PS4/XBONE is "what advantage do they have over a HTPC with a decent level Radeon/GeForce in it?"

i mean, it used to be that you got a console, you put the game in, it worked 99% of the time short of the disc/cart being screwed up in some way. short of exclusives, how are PS4/XBONE going out of their way to combat something like the Steambox coming down the pipe?

Posted on 19 Nov 2013, 17:52:40
Butters
Well sony did decide to take a play from Xbox 360 and make Blue light of death. =p

Posted on 20 Nov 2013, 00:38:57
Outrack
Supposedly less than 1% of all PS4's sold have experienced the BLOD (link), though it's probably too early to make an accurate assessment.

Tested have put together a great video comparing various HDDs used with the PS4, so you can see the difference when using a SSD or Hybrid drive compared to the stock one. The results aren't entirely surprising but it does show how large a gap there is between the use of the three, and it also shows how easily the HDDs can be swapped out.

In other news, even Prince William wants a PS4! Details here.

Posted on 09 Dec 2013, 11:46:50
Suppaman
Warning: get some popcorns before showing the spoiler.
Warning 2: put some glue in your chair before playing the video.
Enjoy.

(click to show/hide)

Posted on 09 Dec 2013, 11:57:00
Scribble92
phahaha ppl be crazy lol
Scribble92- beastmaster extraordinaire

Posted on 09 Dec 2013, 17:40:52
Ishkar
Goddamn! I get why ppl run now though, the first few ppl get away clean and then the zombie horde arrives  :shock:

So did anyone grab one of these besides jin?

Posted on 09 Dec 2013, 21:46:27
MysticJin
Oh man, I would never even try if I wasn't at the front of the queue. The power of useless things that make people go crazy.

We have boxing day sales here. Myer in the city gets packed to the roof. I might just go for my own amusement and see if people go crazy here in Australia.
War has changed.

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013