Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Metal Gear Solid 5: First M Rated Game Featuring Sexual Violence  (Read 894 times)

Posted on 07 Jan 2014, 02:29:57
Outrack
According to the ESRB, Metal Gear Solid 5 will be the first title to ever receive a "Mature" classification that includes sexual violence for an assault on a female character. Director Hideo Kojima has repeatedly stated his intention to explore darker themes and taboo subjects in the game and this is bound to cause a massive amount of controversy as alleged sexism in the industry is such a hot topic at the moment, and I want to see where you guys stand as opinions on this seem so divisive.

You can view the whole ESRB rating summary here, though the part that's relevant to this thread is that "the game includes an audio file in which a female character is sexually assaulted by male characters; while there is no visual depiction, sounds of ripped clothing and struggle can be heard. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue."

While the subject matter is unsettling, I see this as a potentially positive move for the medium to be accepted as a more mature platform as sexuality in gaming hasn't really evolved beyond T&A fanservice and clothed hugging sex-scenes in games like Mass Effect. Despite 68% of the gaming demographic being made up of players over the age of 18 (link), the industry has never really shaken off the stigma that it's an immature platform with a perception of kids being the target audience, evident in things like Australia's age rating system which only recently allowed games to be rated over 15+ (though titles such as Saints Row IV are still occasionally being censored or refused classification).

Of course, there is the danger of sexual violence becoming exploitative in its shock value being used to generate more publicity, though the MGS franchise has been known for providing complex and intelligent storytelling so I'm hoping that the subject will be approached effectively. There's also the possibility that once the gates are opened, other developers will tackle the subject with far less discretion and tact which could cause further harm to perceptions, resulting in the opposite intended effect.

What do you guys think? Should some things be considered off-limits, or is this an important step towards further developing the industry?

Posted on 07 Jan 2014, 13:24:29
Allucinari
It depends entirely on how the scene is handled.  Obviously it's a very sensitive subject, shouldn't be used for shock value, and should be handled delicately.  However, other media platforms have included rape for decades, and often without the above considerations...

I'll reserve judgement, but I have fears that even if it is handled tactfully, it is a "let's push the envelope" move designed to generate press and likely not that relevant to story progression other than to prove "wow the bad guys sure are bad".
ヽʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ✿

Posted on 11 Jan 2014, 10:20:49
Suppaman
Hmmm, i don't mind that if it's handled delicately. I'll not accept if they do like in God of War series, i didn't played these games, but i saw some scenes, and woah, so derp and trash :v

All i want is a Boss Battle like the one with The End in MGS3(and the story).

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013