Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Fitness General  (Read 6777 times)

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 15:05:41
Kurie

Anyway...

Just popping in with an old but still relevant progress photo. Occasionally I need to remind myself that I am not the hamplanet that I used to be.

Facial comparison between November 2011 and last night:
(click to show/hide)
There's a lot more progress here than just weight.
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 09:14:56 by Kurie

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 15:48:52
Lortab
Although I'm a little bit biased to talk about it (I work as a fitness instructor in a gym, it's my hobby), I can give you some tips, or If you wanna call it like that, two small diet ideas.

Actually diet doesn't work as people think, most people need more of a food reeducation. You basically need to eat 3 things daily: fat, carbo and protein. Fat is the easiest to get followed by carbo and protein is a bitch (unless you cna eat 2k chicken in one day, every day, for the rest of your life).

So based on that, the first diet idea is for those who do any kind of sport activity, more than 3 or 4 times per week. That would be a 60 min anything that burns around 500 calories. (even 60 min sex counts :heart:). So, for those who frequently like to sweat, try to eat every 3 hours. That would be 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and small snacks in between. Important is: breakfast and lunch should contain, carbo, fet and protein. Dinner should be only protein, or low carb if needed. You can also eat as much as you want, just try to remember, after 18h ignore any kind of carbo (bread, rice, noodle, potato and so on)

The second diet idea is for those who arent that active and also dont like to sweat. Instead of eating 3 times a day if snacks inbetween, you skip the snacks and try to eat ONLY 3 times a day. A really nice breakfast at around 7 am, a nice lunch at 12 or 1pm, and a dinner at 7pm without carbo!!! Eating like that for 8 weeks will make you lose around 4kg or more, because you will stay at around 1500 calories/day, which is a nice ammount to lose weight.

And then the stupid protein, unless you are a chicken or fish freak, or eat 10kg cheese everyday, you won't get the daily required ammount just by eating like a normal human being. It's sad, but true. So you will need either those protein shakes (some are really delicious) or those protein bars (I personally dont like those). Or just buy 50kg chicken for the month and be the next KFC.

No. No. No. No. and No.
Wrong. Protein is very easy to get in a regular diet. If you're trying to lose weight you should not be eating as much as you want. Ignoring carbs is not relevant for either of your "diet" methods. Carbohydrates and fats are both required for your organs to work properly. Your body starves during sleep because you do not eat for an extended period of time. Spacing smaller meals out is also not dependent on if you work out or not. It benefits both types of people. It has to do with appetite control and glucose regulation, not fitness/activity level. None of the information you provided is food re-education, that's just more "diet" talk.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:06:56
Sheepy
Damn Kurie you looking good. I didn't know you were down that much from before.

Moving on haha. I really don't want to make this into a huge fitness method debate topic as those always end up overboard and that's not what this thread is for. However I would like to clarify the point that Nick and myself bring up pretty regularly.

Pure weight loss really can be achieved by food intake control alone. Although if you CAN of course it's better to have a regimented meal plan all while balancing your macros and nutrients and exercising 3-5 times a week. But for those who can barely managed to keep from overeating really just focusing on a calorie limit and water is best.

This is because weight loss makes almost every other facet of life and getting healthy easier AND the benefits of being slim far outweigh the other benefits. The list of diseases, mental health problems and bodily harms caused by being overweight is through the roof and should almost always be a number one health priority.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:14:45
Kurie
Thanks Sheepy! :) It's kind of hard for me to believe that is less than a 20lb (roughly 9kg) difference. Just goes to show that the scale isn't the only thing we should use to measure our progress. Over these last two years I have made a lot of positive changes.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:19:35
Sheepy
Thanks Sheepy! :) It's kind of hard for me to believe that is less than a 20lb (roughly 9kg) difference. Just goes to show that the scale isn't the only thing we should use to measure our progress. Over these last two years I have made a lot of positive changes.

That's really true, the scale really doesn't tell the full story. It's good to not get too scale obsessed lol

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 19:31:26
Allucinari
20lbs is a huge accomplishment though and you should be proud of it no matter how long it took.

But he's right, nobody get scale obsessed, if you are concerned you are becoming scale obsessed please talk to me and I will yell at you and remind you of all your good qualities that are not tied to a number.

P.S. fight fight fight
ヽʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ✿

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 02:35:50
Lortab

Posted on 01 Feb 2014, 17:12:09
Faintning
Faintning was awarded 1 point/s for this post
I think it's time to update how I'm doing with my weight loss. I haven't lost any weight sadly. But I have drank loads of water during last 4 or 5 days. It has cutted of my snacks, which is a really good thing. And today we had some soda, and I really couldn't drink it. I just could taste all the sugar etc. That's a huge improvement, cause I used to drink soda like crazy. I have one thing that might have caused that I didn't lost any weight. I've been really stressed out this week. Next week is not gonna be any easier, I might be even more stressed out, cause I need to redo some stuff. I'll try to keep up that water drinking.
BRD118, WAR113, PLD111, WHM111, SCH110

EXP:
coils 10/13
EX 7/7

Posted on 01 Feb 2014, 18:50:10
Kurie
Kurie was awarded 1 point/s for this post
Small, gradual changes are always good. :love: You're doing great!

Just popping in to say I reached my goal of getting into the 180's by February 1st. :lol:

Posted on 01 Feb 2014, 18:56:14
Scribble92
yay congrats kurie well done :D im going to my mums next week so ill be able to give u an official update
Scribble92- beastmaster extraordinaire

Posted on 05 Feb 2014, 17:52:24
Eurosius
Eurosius was awarded 1 point/s for this post
About a year ago I got myself back from 163 lbs (74 kg) up to ~180 lbs (81.6 kg), and then I spent the rest of 2013 essentially maintaining the status quo through short runs and strength workouts. As some of you know, I'm a bit of a fitness person, but I have no interest in training anyone else because I know how my body works, and I don't really know how anyone else's body works. The main reason why I maintained was because my foot was bothering me until the middle of the summer. I'm a runner (and an Ultimate Frisbee player), and I couldn't run more than three miles before my right foot would hurt, right on the arch. Eventually I purchased new shoes, and my foot healed, but I continued with my short mileage and the same strength workout over and over again.

Now that it is a new year I have decided to change my strength workout regime, and I have made up a three month schedule that I will repeat four times this year. The first month is based off of hundredpushups.com, and so in January I did the 100 pushups workout, as well as a 40 pullups workout (based on the pushups workout), and the twohundredsquats.com workout, all starting with week 3. In the second month I am doing a strength workout that I came up with independently. It is similar to the 100 pushups routine, but it includes pushups, pullups, squats, dips, and situps, all with weight, and a continuous cycle through them with 30 seconds rest in between each set for rest and setup purposes. I go through them four or five times, and then do a max set. My goal is to increase the number of each exercise I can do. I have found myself enjoying how exhausted I have been after these workouts. The final month is my old ladder style pushups, pullups, squats routine, but I'm going to include dips and situps on the off days (I've detailed how I do this before, and if anyone is interested I'll be more than happy to explain it again).

I'm also planning on increasing my mileage each month (as well as eventually incorporating speed workouts), because now that my foot is healed I should be able to get back to my pre-injury mileage of 48 miles a week. I am looking forward to being in some of the best shape of my life this summer, as long as I can stay on track with this training plan.

Also, if you guys like, I can post pics of myself now, and we can compare them to how I look in a few months (although I don't like taking bathroom selfies, I will for you guys  ::>:).

Posted on 05 Feb 2014, 18:12:19
Kurie
Yeah I think maybe you should post some pics...for...science...  :lol:

Posted on 06 Feb 2014, 07:35:22
raela
Thread totally needs more selfies. I think you're just the man for it, Euro!

Also, I would like to start a ~mini discussion~ and see what sage wisdom others might have. About what? Belts. Evil overlords of the pants world. To illustrate my issue, have two pictures:

(click to show/hide)
If I put my belt at the appropriate spot and don't mess with my pants, the excess fabric slides down and makes some weird pouch thing. In the past, the belt and pants have somehow worked together to pinch my tender squishy belly-skin (it hurts ;_;).

(click to show/hide)
If I say "no, fuck you pants!" and yank them up, I feel goofy and then am constantly adjusting to make sure they don't return to pouch-ville. Normally not pulled up this high.. I try to hook the top of the belt under the button to avoid it slipping up.

Well, the underlying factor here is my pants are now too big.. but uh.. I'd rather not buy new pants. Also, I would think there should be some way to wear a belt where it's not only useful for pants being slightly too big and sliding but not really too big. ._. Halp halp~
~ raela (ML20 assassin) ~ naenia (ML1 sorcerer) ~ dasity (ML8 rogue) ~
~ sarinelle (ML1 priest) ~ nayrin (ML1 monk)  ~ kaysera (ML1 warrior) ~
 ~ acercia (25 beastmaster) ~ forgeria (30 wizard) ~ darkyne (ML13 soulmaker)  ~

Posted on 06 Feb 2014, 07:59:31
Allucinari
True fact: I just bought new pants.  Repeatedly.  It was a huge money sink, however, I didn't look like a homeless child trying to wear her mom's jeans, which made me feel better about myself.
ヽʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ✿

Posted on 10 Feb 2014, 09:30:31
Kurie
Since Allu bought new pants, I just have all of her old pants. I think I'm good for two more sizes down. It's pretty awesome. I hate wearing belts.

Also updating to say my final for my 1 month was a 5lb loss, but that weigh in was reflecting some water weight from a heavier salt day. I'm actually down to 188 now, so 7lbs! :sparkle:

Also because I love posting photos of myself, here is a potato-picture of me feeling like maybe I am beginning to look smaller.

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013