Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Black Desert  (Read 1335 times)

Posted on 10 May 2014, 11:04:38
Outrack

Current Status:Closed Beta (KR), TBA (US/EU)
Last Updated:05 May 2014
Platforms:PC, PS4
Guild Presence:None at present
Active Users:None
References/Links:Pearl Abyss (English - Developer Site)
Official Site (Korean)
Calpheon
Black-Desert Fansite
System SpecsWindows 7/8
Intel Core i3 (i5 recommended)
4GB RAM (6GB recommended)
GeForce 9800 GTX/Radeon HD 3870 X2 (minimum)
GTX 550 Ti/Radeon HD 6770 (recommended)
Video LinksBlackDesertOnline Youtube Channel

Black Desert is an upcoming sandbox-oriented MMORPG from Korean developer Pearl Abyss that aims to break the mould by offering a seamless world with extensive character customization, strategy-based castle sieges and "sophisticated simulation contents" where the player's actions have a direct impact on trade and real estate management using the game's NPC's. Though the game currently doesn't have a publisher lined up for an NA/EU release, it seems inevitable as there's reportedly an English-language client in development and a formal announcement will likely follow the conclusion of the current closed beta period.

The game will utilize a free-to-play model, and is set for an initial release on PC with a PS4 version to follow sometime in the future. "Sandbox" and "MMO" are two concepts that you wouldn't expect to go hand-in-hand, but from what I've read it seems like they may have got the balance right and this could end up being something very special.

This section's a bit disorganized, as more info comes out I'll expand on it.

Humans, Elves and Giants will make up the playable races with Dwarfs and Hobbits apparently incoming. Classes include the Warrior, Valkyrie, Predator, Sorceress, Wizard, Blader, Tamer and Ranger - as you've probably noticed, there isn't a dedicated healer role and classes will be locked into specific genders and races, though some act as a direct counterpart (Warrior/Valkyrie, Wizard/Sorceress). Not sure how I feel about this as I really like XIV's structure of having everything on a single character, though I guess it won't be too bad as long as the grind is minimal and the classes/races are varied enough to offer completely different experiences.

Combat sequences are beautifully animated and have been designed with skill in mind, so that you can successfully fend for yourself even if you don't have a party backing you by making use of a target reticule for manual aiming instead of the traditional target-selector seen in most MMOs (the hitbox is apparently quite large for accessibility, so you don't have to worry about the same kind of fine precision as in most first/third-person shooters). You can view the game in action for a better example of what to expect in the video below.

In addition to the above, we'll also be seeing mounted combat with a pretty cool breeding system attached - there won't be any form of fast-travel in the game, so players will need to acquire a horse, donkey, elephant, camel, and so forth to travel long distances. You'll be able to tame animals from the wild and can later breed them to produce special mounts, but each animal under your care will require food and rest, and can even be killed in combat - so you'll need to pay careful attention to your companion.

A great upcoming feature is a dynamic weather system which won't be purely cosmetic, and will have a strong influence on the way you approach things - you'll have to adjust your clothing when entering harsh climates, can use localized weather such as fog and rain to gain a strategic advantage in castle sieges, and there will apparently also be large-scale events including typhoons. Likewise, there will also be a day/night cycle with gradually progressing lighting effects and different content being presented based on the time of day, with some NPCs being unavailable as they make their way home at night and an increase in the number of creatures lurking around.

While Movement might seem like a weird thing to touch on, it's worth mentioning that the game will boast a parkour system similar to what you'd find in the Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed games, allowing you to run, climb and freely explore the world with little restriction.

Something that could be pretty interesting is the addition of formations when combating bosses; your party will be able to approach the enemy by taking up either an offensive or defensive position with some formations being more effective than others. I've loved the idea of a more involving party structure ever since getting into FFXIV, so a system that encourages teamwork like this has major appeal to me - sadly it seems like it's currently exclusive to boss battles and can only be used from level 40 upward, though it would be great to see in PVP/Castle Sieges.

As mentioned, Black Desert will feature open-world PvP and castle sieges between rival guilds, which players can participate in from level 40. Castles will be placed throughout the world at key strategic locations and neighbouring towns will fall under their jurisdiction with the ability to tax and rent buildings to players, so the effort of holding a Castle could really pay off in establishing a strong influence and as a key source of income. Sieges will apparently be similar to the large-scale battles found in Guild Wars 2 and Dark Age of Camelot, and raiders will be able to make use of siege weaponry such as the cannon, which will have to be manually loaded and aimed at its target.

I'll expand on this as more information becomes available.

I've often felt that customization is a sorely overlooked aspect in MMOs, and it seems as if Pearl Abyss agrees as this has by far the most extensive character creator I've ever seen and you shouldn't ever see two identical players roaming around. Seriously, check out the video below and prepare to be amazed - there are sliders for pretty much everything and I'm expecting to spend a massive chunk of time fueling my OCD by getting everything ~perfect~.

It wouldn't be much of a sandbox game without player housing, and we'll apparently be seeing non-instanced implementation and can rent anything from small homes and larger buildings on 3-month leases - after which the property will go on auction. There's currently around 2,000 houses available for players, and each can be fully furnished with the option to hire NPCs to operate as traders from your residence... If you're not able to grab a house or just don't want to take part in the system, you'll also have access to hotels and can camp freely outside of towns.

This is a pretty unique spin on the traditional system, so I felt it was worth noting. To make the game feel more "alive", NPCs will roam around the world and may be at different locations at different times and make use of an Intimacy system where you can befriend certain characters to open up more events tied to them - catch is that the NPCs have varying relationships with each other, and you may end up lose favor with one by associating with another. In an effort to curb fetch-quests and the usual boring grind, the jobs you take on will require actual involvement and utilize mini-games for things like fishing, hunting, and mining, and instead of EXP you'll be awarded "Contribution" points which will boost your standing in the area and lead to more opportunities.

Posted on 10 May 2014, 13:05:08
Kichijoten
Nice graphics! And I like the fact that you have to chase npc's haha makes them a little bit more human  :love:

But I'm guessing that it'll take a while to get all that up and running...looks nice though.

retired from RO2 - Playing FF XIV!

Posted on 11 May 2014, 00:37:13
Scribble92
looks pretty awesome
Scribble92- beastmaster extraordinaire

Posted on 11 May 2014, 01:25:45
Maxscha
looks awsomely pretty too

Posted on 12 Feb 2016, 17:11:48
Seitori
black desert is coming out with an international version https://www.blackdesertonline.com/preorder/, you have to buy it to play it, but then it has no subscription just cash shop with mostly, i think, costumes and pets

also right now there is "create beauty char" event that ends on feb 15th https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/ShowEvent.html where you can get participant rewards and maybe win a closed beta access etc

there will be a second closed beta from feb 18th to feb 22nd for the founders, which i am going to buy just to check out some stuff before release :)

also when you pre order the game you get early access that depends on how much you spent

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013