Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

So you want to be a Summoner huh?  (Read 681 times)

Posted on 27 Oct 2014, 17:43:29
Scribble92
Scribble92 was awarded 2 point/s for this post
warning this is a work in progress i will be working on it it bit by bit. If you would like to see something added or have any questions, just ask

For a summoner to be truly efficient as a DPS it's important to manage your DoTs and pet effectively. But before we get into the finer points, first i will give a quick rundown on your skills.

Ruin lvl1 Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 80.

Bio lvl2 Deals unaspected damage over time with a potency of 40 Duration: 18 seconds.

Physick lvl4 Restores target's HP Cure potency: 400

Aetherflow lvl6 Restores 20% of maximum MPAdditional effect adds one stack of Aetherflow

Energy Drain lvl8 Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 150. Absorbs 50% of damage dealt as HP and restores MP. Only available when under the effect of Aetherflow

Miasma lvl10 Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 20.Additional Effect: Unaspected damage over time with a potency of 35 Duration: 24 seconds Additional Effect: Disease Duration: 24 secondsSymptoms: Reduces HP recovered by cure spells by 50% and inflicts 40% Heavy.

Virus lvl12  Reduces target's STR and DEX by 15% Duration: 10 seconds Grants target immunity to the same effect for 1 minute after effect ends.
Supervirus lvl28 Reduces target's STR, DEX, INT and MND  by 15%Duration: 10 seconds Grants target immunity to the same effect for 1 minute after effect ends.

Sustain lvl18  Continously heals 8% of summon's max HP Duration: 10 seconds

Resurrrection lvl22  Resurrects target to a weakened state

Bio II lvl26  Deals unaspected damage over time with a potency of 35 Duration: 30 seconds

Bane lvl 30  Spreads a target's Bio, Bio II, and Miasma to up to three nearby enemies. Duration: Time remaining on original effect Additional Effect: 15% chance that Bio, Bio II, and Miasma duration resets if shorter than original effect duration Only available when under the effect of Aetherflow.

Eye for an Eye lvl34  Erects a magicked barrier arround a single party member or pet. Duration: 30 seconds Barrier Effect: 20% chance that when barrier is struck, the striker will deal 10% less damage. Duration: 20 seconds

Fester lvl35  Cause wounds inflicted by Bio, Bio II, and Miasma to fester, dealing damage with a potency of 100 for each effect Can only be used when the original spells were cast by you, and when under the effect of Aetherflow

Ruin II lvl38 Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 80. Additional Effect: Blind Duration: 10 seconds

Tri-disaster lvl40 Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 30 to target and all targets nearby it. Additional Effect: Bind Duration: 20 seconds

Rouse lvl42  Increases spell-based HP restoration and damage dealt by pet by 40%. While roused, pet will be immune to stun, sleep, bind, heavy, paralysis, and disease. Duration: 20 seconds

Spur lvl45   Increases a pet's physical and magical attack power by 40%. Duration: 20 seconds

Miasma II lvl46   Deals unaspected damage with a potency of 20 to all nearby enemies. Additional Effect: Unaspected damage over time for a potency of 10 Duration: 15 seconds Additional Effect: Disease Duration: 15seconds Symptoms: Reduces HP recovered by healing magic by 20% and inflicts Heavy +40%

Shadow Flare lvl50 Envelops a designated area in a veil of magicked shadows, dealing damage with a potency of 25 to any enemies who enter. Duration: 30 seconds Additional Effect: Slow 5%

Enkindle lvl50 Commands pet to use its signature attack

p.s. will put this into a pretty table....when i fugure out how

Cross-class actions

Raging Strikes Increases damage dealt by 20%. Duration: 20 seconds

Surecast Next spell is cast without interruption. Duration: 10 Seconds

Blizzard II Deals ice damage with a potency of 50 to all nearby enemies. Additional Effect: Bind Duration: 8 seconds

Swiftcast Next spell is cast immediately. Duration: 10 seconds

Hawk's Eye  Increases DEX by 15% and guarantees that all attacks land. Duration: 20 seconds

Quelling Strikes Reduces enmity generation. Duration: 15 seconds

Raging Strikes is a must have cross class ability if you want to do maximum DPS I would also highly recommend Swiftcast, I use it mainly for Resurrection and Shadow Flare. Surecast I haven't been using until recently. I kept getting interrupted by Ramuh and this ability was a godsend. Next cross class ability I should probably get is Hawk's eye. Not amazingly useful during your everyday encounters but in high level dungeons such as the coils of Bahamut where high accuracy is needed, it may be of some value. The other ability is for up to you do decide, I currently have Blizzard II but I never use it. when I can be bothered to level Archer more I'll probably switch it for quelling strikes which might come in handy for when you are spreading you DoTs with Bane and help the tank to keep aggro

Stats
As a mage class your most important stat is INT, you'll be wanting to put all your bonus attributes into that. Unfortunately, summoners and scholars share the same bonus attributes so if you want to main summoner, all in INT, if you want to main Scholar, all in Mind. You can purchase resets from our grand company if you decide you'd like to switch from one to the other.

Gear wise, you want to focus on getting as much critical hit as you can. the more crit you have the higher chance fester will crit for a very nice amount of damage. The next stat you will want is determination, higher det means higher damage basically. Spell speed often comes on your gear as a mage but as a summoner its not a huge help. most of the cast times are around 2.5 seconds and once you get your DoT's on you'll only need to refresh them approximately every 20 or so seconds. If you find you missing a lot in the higher level dungeons it may be wise to add a bit of accuracy into the mix.

Skill rotation and useful combinations

So I open each boss battle with the same skill rotation, Raging strikes -> Bio II -> Miasma -> Bio -> Fester whilst running towards the boss, -> Miasma II and run away from boss -> Contagion -> Bane (if there are adds)-> Swiftcast Shadow flare -> Ruin II if moving or if fester is about to come off cooldown, Ruin if Fester has 3 seconds or more left -> Fester as soon as it come of cooldown.

After this you'll just want to keep DoTs refreshed, i usually refresh them if they have around 3 seconds left. Use fester everytime it's off cooldown, Bane if necessary. Aetherflow whenever you run out of Aetherstacks. One of the things i see summoners do a lot is spam Ruin II Don't! only use it if you need to move out of aoe's or you can see fester is about to come off cooldown. Spamming ruin II will deplete your mp a lot quicker, then you'll have to add energy drain into the mix, using energy drain means 1 less fester and therefore less DPS output.

Some other useful combos: Rouse -> Spur -> Enkindle -> Aerial Slash (garuda AOE pet skill). Enkindle will do huge aoe burst damage followed up by a smaller AOE, Great for bursting down boss adds (if they are stacked up together). If you know there aren't going to be any adds just use it on the single target boss. still does huge damage (I've done 2,000+ if I get lucky and it crits).

Swiftcast -> Resurrection. Often needed if healers don't have swiftcast (they really should have it for endgame content but the amount i have seen who don't is shocking) or use it to help give the healers a hand. By using Ressurection you will lose a lot of mp so will often have to substitute a fester for an energy drain, possibly 2. but an extra person is much better than an extra fester :D

Last Edit: 03 Nov 2014, 05:21:29 by Scribble92
Scribble92- beastmaster extraordinaire

Posted on 02 Nov 2014, 07:04:09
Scribble92
Updated with stats, next to come....... skill rotation

Posted on 03 Nov 2014, 03:58:44
Talia Heartly
Talia Heartly was awarded 1 point/s for this post
Very Helpful Guide Scrib!

Posted on 03 Nov 2014, 05:25:21
Scribble92
Skill rotation added. not sure if i have written it in a way people can understand :S. Any questions just ask. If needs be i'll try to record a video of the skill rotation. Next update will be useful hints and tips and various situational tipps for specific bosses

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013