Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Warrior job guide  (Read 617 times)

Posted on 27 Oct 2014, 21:00:00
Faintning
Faintning was awarded 1 point/s for this post
This is still WIP and will be updated

Warrior is one of the two tank jobs in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Warrior keeps enmity through high DPS output, and it's unlocked with lvl30 Marauder and lvl15 Gladiator

SKILLS:

Heavy Swing: lvl1,  Delivers an attack with potency of 150.

Foresight: lvl2, Increase defense by 20% for 20 seconds, cooldown: 90 seconds

Skull Sunder: lvl4, Delivers an attack with a potency of 100. Additional Effect: Increased enmity. Combo Action: Heavy Swing. Combo Potency: 200, Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration: 30 seconds

Fracture: lvl6 Delivers an attack with a potency of 100. Additional effect: Damage over time with potency of 100, duration: 30 seconds, (18 seconds below lvl28)

Bloodbath: lvl8 Converts 25% of physical damage dealt into HP, duration: 30 seconds (15 seconds below lvl20), cooldown: 90 seconds

Brutal Swing:LVL10 Delivers an attack with a potency of 50.  Additional Effect: Stun, duration 5 seconds (3 seconds below lvl32), cooldown: 20 seconds

Overpower: lvl12 Delivers an attack with a potency of 120 to all enemies in a cone before you, Additional Effect: Increased enmity

Tomahawk: lvl15  Delivers a ranged attack with a potency of 130, Additional Effect: Increaed enmity

Maim: lvl18 Delivers an attack with a potency of 100, Combo action: Heavy Swing Combo potency: 190, Combo Bonus: Increases damage dealt by 20%, duration: 24 seconds (12 seconds below lvl48), Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration: 30 seconds

Berserk: lvl22 Increases attack power by 50%, duration 20 seconds ( 15 seconds under lvl36) Unable to use weaponskills for 5 seconds after effect fades. Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration: 30 seconds, cooldown: 90 seconds

Mercy Stroke: lvl26 Delivers an attack with a potency of 200. Can be only executed when target's HP is below 20%. If delivered as the killing blow, up to 20% of your maximum HP will be restored, cooldown: 40 seconds

Butcher's Block: lvl30 Delivers an attack with a potency of 100. Additional effect: Increased enmity, Combo Action: Skull Sunder, Combo Potency: 280, Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration 30 seconds

Defiance: lvl30 Increases maximum HP by 25%, while lowering damage dealt by 25% and increasing enmity. Increases HP recovery via curing magic by 20% for self. Effect ends upon reuse. Using certain actions while under the effect of Defiance will grant Wrath. Each unit of Wrath increases critical hit rate by 2% and HP recovery via curing magic by 3%. When five units are stacked, you will become Infuriated. All Wrath is lost when Defiance ends.

Thrill of Battle: lvl34 INcreases maximum HP by 20% (10% below lvl44) and restores the amount increased. duration: 20 seconds, cooldown: 180 seconds

Inner Beast: lvl35 Delivers an attack with a potency of 300, ignores the damage penalty by Defiance. Can only be executed when Infuriated. All Wrath is lost when used. Additional Effect: Absorbs 100% of damage dealt as HP, Additional Effect: Reduces damage taken my 20%, duration: 5 seconds.

Storm's Path: lvl38 Delivers an attack with a potency of 100. Combo Action: Maim, Combo Potency: 250 Combo Bonus: Absorbs 50% of damage dealt as HP and lowers the target's damage dealt by 20%, duration 20 seconds. Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration 30 seconds.

Unchained: lvl40 Nullifies the damage penalty by Defiance, duration: 20 seconds. Can ony be executed when Infuriated. All Wrath is lost when used. Effect is canceled if Defiance ends, cooldown: 120 seconds

Holmgang: lvl42 Draws target towards caster, and binds both. duration: 6 seconds. Most attacks cannot reduce your HP to less than 1

Steel Cyclone: lvl45 Delivers an attack with a potency of 200 to all nearby enemies. Ignores the 25% damage penalty inflicted my Defiance. All Wrath is lost when used Additional Effect: increased enmity

Vengeance: lvl46 Reduces damage taken by 30% and delivers an attack with a potency of 50 every time you suffer physical damage, duration: 15 seconds. Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration: 30 seconds. cooldown: 150 seconds

Storm's Eye: lvl50 Delivers an attack with a potency of 100. Combo action: Maim, Combo potency: 270, Combo bonus: Decreases target's slashing resistance by 10% and HP recovery via curing magic by 50%, duration: 15 seconds. Grants Wrath when used with Defiance, duration: 30 seconds.

Infuriate: lvl50 Instantly grants five units of Wrath, changing status to Infuriated. Can only be used when Defiance is active. cooldown: 60 seconds

CROSS CLASS SKILLS

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn allows jobs to equip skills from certain classes, for Warrior those two classes are Pugilist and Gladiator.

Savage Blade: lvl4 Gladiator, totally useless. Potency only 100, and you can't cross class it's Combo action Fast Blade. So Savage Blade is just complete waste of a cross class skill.

Featherfoot: lvl4 Pugilist. Another complete waste of a cross class skill. All big attacks end game cannot be dodged.

Flash: lvl8 Gladiator. Highly arguable cross class. Some warriors use it to boost their enmity, but since it's on GCD ( General Cooldown), personally I don't find it useful. Also warrior has low MP pool.

Second Wind: lvl8 Pugilist. Another highly arguable skill, cures own HP and potency depends on your current attack power. Selfheals are always good, but the potency is a bit low, but with the right usage with Convalencence and Bloodbath you can heal yourself quite effectively. Personally I would recommend getting this skill.

Convalesence: lvl10 Gladiator, really useful buff, increases HP restoration by spells or actions by 20%. Helps healers out a bunch if you are low on health. I highly recommend this skill.

Haymaker: lvl10 Pugilist. Again, complete waste of a cross class skill.

Internal Release: lvl12 Pugilist. Useful skil, especially when off tanking. Increases critical hit rate by 10%. I highly recommend getting this skill.

Provoke: lvl22 Gladiator. Absolute NEED. No one tanks end game content without Provoke. Get this skill ASAP when you hit lvl50.

Awareness: lvl34 Gladiator. Highly arguable cross class skill. Big attacks end game cannot crit, but i.e Leviathan Extreme has nasty 2k crits on auto attacks. Also helpful for your healers on speed running dungeons.

Mantra: lvl42 Pugilist. Another arguable skill. Increases HP recovery via curing magic by 10% for self and nearby party members. Kinda useful if you don't have monk in your party. Helps healers out a bit after huge AoE damage.

Most Warrior cross class skills are arguable, so choose what works the best for you for Warrior tanking. With the expection of Provoke

SKILL ROTATIONS

Warrior has different Main Tank and Off Tank rotations.
My personal Main Tank rotation is: Infuriate --> Unchained --> Tomahawk --> on trash mob pulls Overpower, single target Brutal Swing (not in ifrit) --> Heavy Swing --> Skull Sunder --> Butcher's Block
If Enmity is stable I continue with Heavy Swing --> Maim --> Storm's Path. After that I do enmity combo ( Heavy Swing --> Skull Sunder --> Butcher's Block) while keeping Storm's Path up and using Brutal Swing whenever it's off CD (with the exception of ifrit). On trash mob pulls and speed runs, I use overpower every 2-3 skills and Steel Cyclone every 5 stacks of Wrath boosting up enmity, depending on healers/DPS enmity generation.

My Off Tank rotation is Heavy Swing --> Maim --> Storm's Path --> Heavy Swing --> Maim --> Storm's Eye --> Heavy Swing --> Skull Sunder --> Butcher's Block, again, using Brutal Swing whenever it's off CD, just rinse and repeat. Usually when off tanking, you keep Defiance off, unless there's tank swaps (Titan Ex, Moogle Ex, Ramuh ex etc). When Off tanking with Defiance, be extra careful with using enmity combo. If my enimty is too high with Defiance, I drop enmity combo off from my OT rotation. In fights that don't require tank swapping, I keep Defiance off.

GEAR AND STAT

Now to the fun part. Gearwise, left side tank gear obviosly. Right side is preference. Some warriors switch to STR accesories after hitting 9.5k HP in party and Defiance on. The reason I've heard for that is going over that 9.5k HP gives so minimal advantage, that they rather get extra dps output. While leveling, it's best to stay with tank accesories. If dungeons are unfortunate and you don't have the gil to buy crafted accesories, go with str instead of having nothing on your right side.

Attribute points, same as right side gear. Some warriors prefer STR once they hit that magical 9.5k. My personal preference is to go full VIT with attribute points, and switch right side of my gear when I start hitting that 9.5k. Take in notice, that 2.4 hits the same day I'm writing this, and I will update if there's any changes to Warrior stat distribution.

What Secondary Stats to focus on?

My personal preference in this is Det<Crit<Parry, some of you might be thinking, parry is last being the main tank stat. Let me explain you, you can't trust parrying big hits end game. the formula is really unreliable imo.

Determination increases overall damage, which is really good for warrior. Warrior maintains enimty through high dps output, more Det=more enmity. Critical hit rate is good, since most of the time on end game, warrior is used as OT due to better CC (crowd control) . Avoid Skill Speed as much as you can.
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2014, 13:15:37 by Faintning
BRD118, WAR113, PLD111, WHM111, SCH110

EXP:
coils 10/13
EX 7/7

Posted on 31 Oct 2014, 13:15:50
Faintning
Updated Stat section.
BRD118, WAR113, PLD111, WHM111, SCH110

EXP:
coils 10/13
EX 7/7

Posted on 05 Nov 2014, 09:57:39
ZellKFF
I only just read this now, and although this is more or ess exactly what I had in mind for my WAR, I would have found this extremely useful as a new player xD

Thank you Faint :love:

RAWR guildmaster since 2004
Currently playing: RO2 - channel 5

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013