Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Future of the Xbox Conference  (Read 3527 times)

Posted on 21 May 2013, 05:27:27
Sheepy
Ok guys, at Redmond basically tomorrow Microsoft will be announcing the details of their new console. The talk around the scene is that the focus is mostly on the console and not games although some staples like COD and Fifa are already confirmed at the conference.

So what does everyone think? Xbox 720, Xbox 365, Xbox Xfinity/Infinity, THE  Xbox.

I'll update the OP with the details as they get announced. I'm hoping for a really strong online infrastructure because that's what they did well last console generation with achievements and Xbox Arcade. Back when they thought downloadable games were gonna be little short arcade style games. What I think they NEED is to announce that online play is now available to all users, not just gold users. Xbox Gold is still a huge ripoff.

Update: The Xbox One.

Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 14:13:16 by Sheepy

Posted on 21 May 2013, 08:42:46
Outrack
Was discussing this with ShiiN last night and we both felt that there isn't enough to get excited about regarding the newer consoles.

Microsoft would have to successfully emulate the PlayStation+ service for me to take even a mild interest in it, though their Gold service has been lucrative despite being a clear rip-off so I don't expect any major changes.  Otherwise, I'm hoping that they finally put the always-online DRM issue to rest and give us something with more substance in terms of what the console can offer - I'm predicting most of what they'll boast about will be full room immersion, Kinect features and other gimmicks that are of little appeal to the core market.

As for the "Xbox Infinity" - did you see this thread on Reddit where some guy reveals that his mockup was adopted by several gaming sites as the console's official name?

Posted on 21 May 2013, 10:39:27
Sheepy
Im pretty aware of the mockup but the name has spread so prominently I think even microsoft has looked at it. Also I don't know I think there is a good amount to get excited for. The infrastructure is still so archaic by todays standards and Outrack you own a PS3 so I dont know if you've seen it, but games look shitty on the 360 now. The console versions of almost any game now are just straight up worse looking. It's not the biggest problem but it's still there.

For me to get excited I want to see that they're improving their developer relations just like Sony. For instance their cert process is quite painful still and not developer friendly and fixing their damn online database of downloadable games.

I hope kinect isn't  a focus but I assume it'll be integrated with the console hardware. Also "It's a game console AND your set top box". Meh.

To be honest I don't want to write off Microsoft from the get go because I honestly think they had sony "beat" last generation, not  for the higher sales figures, but with being the first to have achievements, and great downloadable content, better community support with included headsets party chat and was much better from the get go where as the PS3 seriously took some time to age to become great. Sure the 360 is now pretty stale compared to the PS3 but it's almost just on time for a new generation where I feel like the PS3 still has some life left in it but if they let microsoft get ahead again it's bad for them, so they're forced at this point.

It's pretty clear that Sony has stepped up though, so if I had to place a bet I'd say they're going to take the next generation. They were on a high after the PS2 and basically said "bitch we got playstation you'll take what we give you" and now they're a bit humbled and it seems like they're working their asses off to regain their domination status. Everything they've shown says that they're  really listening to feedback and third party devs. The vita doesn't make me confident though, but that also seems to be aging surprisingly well, and the fact that Sony emphasizes long term support is a big factor for me value wise.

Posted on 22 May 2013, 04:33:03
Carlos
I haven't gotten into detail on what the whole new console business is bringing. I'll probably buy all the consoles just follow tradition BUT if it's anything like it's now, i'll be siding with xbox. I know many of you prefer the ps3 network better than xbox live but I just can't get into it. Where I live at most people have xbox live and it's so rare to hear somebody say "OHAY PS3 PLS." It just doesn't feel like i'm online at all with nobody on my friend list active while on xbox live there's always a bunch of people on and oh god do I hate the whole ps3 updates. It takes foreeeeeeeeeeeever. Hopefully that'll be fixed :<

Posted on 22 May 2013, 12:08:19
Allucinari
My only question: Why have they not fixed those god awful controllers yet?
Or do man hands fit them better?  Do you get used to them eventually?
ヽʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ✿

Posted on 22 May 2013, 12:23:47
Taralis
My hands fit the way better than the PS1-3 controllers but then again I have big hands. As we were discussing on irc it's more so the angles of the controller and cramps my hand up pretty fast.
Currently playing FFXIV: A Realm Reborn on Jenova world
Level 50s and ilvls
Bard: 112 / Paladin: 112 / White Mage: 104

Posted on 22 May 2013, 15:05:38
Carlos
I have small hands and I am completely fine with their controllers. I'm sure you get used to them.

Posted on 22 May 2013, 18:07:39
Spud
Yep, controllers are fine here as well, and my hands aren't small. I feel the Xbox presentation was lackluster at best but like I posted on Sheepy's facebook, I'll try to remain open minded for E3 right around the corner.

Posted on 22 May 2013, 22:49:56
Allucinari

ヽʕ•ᴥ•ʔノ✿

Posted on 23 May 2013, 00:10:04
Butters
I personally think the best controllers that have ever fit these magnificent hands have been the xbox 360 ones. These new ones seem a little awkward. Like a third party controller.

Posted on 10 Jun 2013, 09:45:39
Outrack
Yeesh. Microsoft are doing a lousy job of damage control regarding their DRM measures...

Sheepy's tied-up, so I'll step in and post this link here for those who haven't been following what's going on and want a quick break-down. In short, I feel that MS is trying to appease publishers and using weasel words to disguise the fact that "The Cloud" is being primarily used as DRM with user convenience being a secondary goal, and having to log into the XBL servers once every 24 hours feels like checking in with your parole officer. I strongly dislike the policies on used game sales and their attempt at blaming the media for supposed misconceptions that wound up being true. I'll post more details in a couple of hours after watching Microsoft's E3 conference.

Speaking of which, a Neogaf user has posted a list of things to expect at from Microsoft here that paint an even bleaker picture, if that was even possible. These are rumors right now and the poster seems to have the IQ of a potato, but it should be noted that Neogaf have a strict policy against baseless rumor-mongering and this guy has posted a lot of info in the past that wound up being true, so don't instantly disregard it.

Re-posting the translated list from Reddit:
  • Microsoft is buying out publishers to not mention the PS4 versions of multi-platform titles, so you can assume if the presenter does not say "EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX ONE", that it will also be on PS4.
  • More in depth DRM info at Gamescom. There is no rental strategy, they're trying to just sweep it under the rug and hope people don't remember.
  • Cloud power was designed as DRM. It was Microsoft's idea, and they approached other publishers. EA and Ubisoft support, Activision slightly less so.
  • DRM plans are worse than what they have said.
  • Mirror's Edge 2 at MS conference.
  • Prince of Persia (reboot?) at MS conference.
  • Secret Phil Spencer game = World of Tanks. It is said that you still need Gold to play F2P games?
  • Paywall for Xbox One.
  • Dead Rising 3 as Xbox One exclusive. Exclusive DLC for another Capcom game.
  • No paywall for PS4, but it's unconfirmed.
  • Sony is very tight on their DRM policies, so no DRM info.
What do you all think about these developments?

Posted on 20 Jun 2013, 13:09:46
ZellKFF
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

So, too little too late? Seems like they are trying to turn a huge fail into a "we care about what you say' campaign, although they really had no choice...

My main gripe is having kinect always turned on to be able to play online (even if you do have the option to "disable" image and sound, it makes me feel pretty paranoid). Heck, the stupid thing won't even boot up without a kinect connected to it :s

RAWR guildmaster since 2004
Currently playing: RO2 - channel 5

Posted on 21 Jun 2013, 09:50:07
Carlos
That will be me playing nakid with  you zelly poo ;3~

Posted on 22 Jun 2013, 10:42:11
Lein
well, yea, technically speaking they just did a shitty play of taking a rock, wrapping it in a cute cloth with a ribbon and selling it out...

in other words, the same rock.

now its no different than xbox 360 on the sharing of games or playing offline, but since the "Restriction event" happened, ppl did pay attention to something otherwise wouldnt, and now that they say its an open path, you can imagine them opening the door and cutting shackless of ppl... thats, kinda arrogant on my point of view.

its a complete game of pulling ppl to their side!! yup, that sorta pissed me off...

well videogames are videogames, they are not at fault of the human's doings.

about the kinect integrated thingy, well you could just turn off video and sound (which Im not sure how reliable that is) and make the console face another side =___=a
Nick -> Lein
Leinzan -> Average Rogue!
Aiot -> Monkey Assassin!
Citlalicue -> Cursing Crescentia of the Vengenful Stigma!
Arkenne -> Squishy Tanky Monk

Posted on 25 Jul 2013, 02:02:13
Sheepy
After learning that Microsoft helped the NSA spy on its customers and gave it encryption keys to break its own Skype and communication networks, having a compulsary kinect is a bit of a worry. Not that i think it's likely, but it's still worrying. Also the kinect is required to be on in almost all cases, which the marketing director has already confirmed.

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013