Don't have an account? Click here to Register! Forgot password?

Steam Trading Cards  (Read 3252 times)

Posted on 24 May 2013, 11:07:40
Outrack
Introducing Steam's latest attempt at killing what little remains of our social lives! Steam Trading Cards is a feature currently in Beta that lets users collect digital cards in select games, which can then be traded with other users and forged into Badges and tradable community items. Aside from the collection aspect, the Badges can also net you emoticons, profile backgrounds, coupons and EXP points for your Steam Level so there's more of a "purpose" to collecting them.

You can read up more about it on Steam's official page here. What do you guys think of the new system? I used to collect cards as a kid so this brings out all kinds of nostalgia, and I think this is a great evolution of the achievement system - currently you collect cards randomly through gameplay, though I'm hoping as the system expands you'll unlock some by completing set tasks.

For a full list of games that offer cards, click here! You can sort this page by title and price, so you can scout cheap games to improve your collection.

Each game drops five cards of the ten set, and you can only obtain the rest via trading. Free-to-play games such as DOTA 2 and Team Fortress 2 don't seem to hand out cards unless you've invested cash in them, though I haven't confirmed this yet - may have just been bad luck as I got 5 cards out of HL2 in 2 hours and got zip from DOTA after playing for around 6. When will Valve ever learn to count to three...

Want in? Click here to join the Steam group and post a comment asking for an invite! I have one spare invite to the Trading Card Beta to give out, first one who asks for it here will get it.

For those of you in the system, I have a Respite duplicate from HL2 that I'm willing to trade for anything I'm missing; you can see which cards I've got so far on my Badge page.
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2013, 07:34:00 by Outrack

Posted on 24 May 2013, 17:49:15
Spud
I'd love your invite Outrack! :)

Posted on 24 May 2013, 21:19:52
Outrack
You have my invite :sparkle:

Posted on 24 May 2013, 22:21:54
Spud
Thank you sir! :)

Posted on 25 May 2013, 00:31:05
Carlos
I played some Portal 2 since racky sent me an invite and got 3 cards :3 2 of them are the same though :(

Posted on 26 May 2013, 09:44:38
Outrack
Spent a bit of time learning everything about the card system, and I'm a little conflicted... Though I generally like the system, it does feel like it's more of a cash-grab that benefits Valve more than the users.

The drop rate in the FAQ is vague, so let me clear it up. In each of the participating games (save TF2 and DOTA2 which I'll get to further down), you'll have half the total number of cards available drop through regular gameplay - meaning that if HL2 has 8 cards to collect in total, you'll have 4 random cards drop by just playing the game. You're not guaranteed 4 individual cards, and you're supposed to trade whatever duplicates you get.

So how do you get the remaining cards? Obviously you can't get the remaining 4 by trading the 4 you've already got, so instead you need to trade cards from another game. For example, to get the remaining HL2 cards you can trade the 4 drops from Portal 2 - this will net you the entire HL2 set, but now you're 4 down for Portal 2 and have to trade off cards from some other game to get those back. As it stands, it's impossible to get all cards through regular trading unless you can convince some poor shmuck to give you more than one card per trade.

This is where the Market comes into play. Your best bet when you hit a wall is to simply buy the cards you need - they average around $1 each depending on the game, but as it requires a cash investment you'll have to be *really* into the system to want to go this far. Valve gets a cut of whatever you sell which is why I feel that this favors them more than us, and I don't expect the system to change as increasing the drop-rate would devalue the cards significantly.

As for DOTA 2 and Team Fortress 2, the amount of cash you've invested influences the number of drops - if you're playing either of them free via invites, you'll get jack. If you've paid for any in-game item previously you'll get the 4 regular drops, otherwise you'll only gain one card drop for every $9 invested in the titles. Please don't spend $9 to get the cards. There's a massive lapse in logic on Valve's side regarding the unlock cost as you can buy the entire set for that amount via the store, so this is plainly unworth it unless you've already decided to spend the cash to obtain an item in the game.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to purchase all TF2 cards later on today as they sell for around 40 cents on average and I'd like to see what happens when you get a badge; will report back once I've done it.

Posted on 26 May 2013, 10:00:25
Outrack
Okay, so I bought all TF2 cards and crafted my first badge. I got an Engineer Wallpaper for my profile, an emoticon, a voucher for 33% off the Basement Collection... And the ability to level up my current badge if I get all the cards all over again.

Damn you, Valve. This has at least renewed my faith in the ability to earn money in online projects without resorting to advertising.

Posted on 26 May 2013, 21:54:09
Carlos
So you're saying it was worth it? :( How much did you spend for all the cards? Maybe we should arrange some Dota2 matches for fun :<

Posted on 26 May 2013, 22:38:55
Outrack
The TF2 cards were around 40c each so I spent roughly $3.60 to get the full set - it doesn't feel worth it considering I've payed the same for whole games during the Steam sales, but I don't really regret it either as I love collecting things. I guess it just depends on the kind of gamer you are :sweat2:

I'd love to play DOTA 2 with you guys! Will start a thread for it tomorrow, hopefully we can arrange to play together sometime over the next week :D

Posted on 26 May 2013, 22:44:15
Spud
The TF2 cards were around 40c each so I spent roughly $3.60 to get the full set - it doesn't feel worth it considering I've payed the same for whole games during the Steam sales, but I don't really regret it either as I love collecting things. I guess it just depends on the kind of gamer you are :sweat2:

I'd love to play DOTA 2 with you guys! Will start a thread for it tomorrow, hopefully we can arrange to play together sometime over the next week :D
I'm game for Dota!

Posted on 28 May 2013, 11:05:52
Outrack
Bought all the HL2 cards last night, forged the badge, and found out that the drop counter doesn't reset for the next stage so you'll have to buy the whole set of cards four more times to max out your badge for each participating game.

Won't be participating actively in card collection until policies are revised - which likely won't happen this seems to have been a huge success and Valve must be coining it with their cut of the Market sales.

Posted on 31 May 2013, 05:47:33
Lexy
Holy cow, I randomly have 3 access invites!

I haven't tried this out so I can't give any information about it, but if people want to try/have it for the e-penis let me know and I'll send you one!
\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Lexy LoliPants

SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2013